Hachette NZ announces the Margaret Mahy Illustration Prize shortlist
Hachette NZ and the Margaret Mahy Estate are delighted to announce the shortlist of the inaugural Margaret Mahy Illustration Prize. As part of Hachette’s year long celebration of the 50th anniversary of A Lion in the Meadow; unpublished New Zealand artists were invited to illustrate Mahy’s classic story A Boy with Two Shadows.
With over 140 expressions of interest, it was an exciting and daunting task to select a shortlist. We are delighted to announce the following five illustrators have been shortlisted:
- Emily Walker
- Hilary Jean Tapper
- Jane McIntosh
- Lara Cash
- Sarah Greig
Hachette’s Managing Director, Mel Winder commented: 'We were thrilled with the exceptionally high quality of entries and the illustrators creative and thoughtful approach to the text'.
The judging panel comprised of:
• Bridget Mahy – a Director of Mayhem Multimedia which oversees the management of Margaret Mahy’s body of work.
• Stacey Morrison – Radio and TV broadcaster whose projects have spanned 25 years. Stacey has co-written a collection of bestselling Maori language books.
• Donovan Bixley – Award-winning author and illustrator who has sold hundreds of thousands of copies of his books in 31 countries and 18 languages.
• Alison Shucksmith – Hachette NZ’s Publishing and Product Manager.
The judges said that 'the entries were accomplished and thoughtful, with wonderful layers of intricacy that created visually intriguing images to consider'.
The Margaret Mahy Illustration Prize winner and two runners up will be announced on Thursday, 29th August 2019.
The winner will receive:
• A $1000 cash prize
• A collection of books valued at $500
• A bespoke Totara trophy
• They will also be invited to discuss developing their illustrations for publication as a picture book.
Each runner up will receive a collection of books valued at $250.