NZ author Salmond shortlisted for UK Nayef Al-Rodhan Prize
New Zealand author Anne Salmond’s Tears of Rangi: Experiments Across Worlds (Auckland University Press) has been shortlisted for the British Academy’s 2018 Nayef Al-Rodhan Prize.
Salmond’s book examines the early encounters between Maori and Europeans (1769-1840), and looks at New Zealand as a ‘site of cosmo-diversity’—a place where worlds collide.
The other shortlisted titles are:
- The Islamic Enlightenment (Christopher de Bellaigue, Vintage)
- Al-Britannia (James Fergusson, Transworld)
- Border (Kapka Kassabova, Granta)
- Black Tudors (Miranda Kaufmann, Oneworld)
- I Was Told to Come Alone (Souad Mekhennet, Virago).
The winner of the prize will be announced at a ceremony held at the British Academy in London on 30 October.
For more information about the prize, see the website.