Nielsen NZ Bookshop of the Year
Who should enter?
This category is aimed at finding the best bookshop in New Zealand. Entries are welcome from independent and chain stores.
The judges are looking for evidence that you’ve been running a great bookshop over the past year. This falls into six areas:
1. OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE – How do you excel in areas like stock selection, staff, website, premises, opening hours, marketing and promotions?
2. CUSTOMERS AND SERVICE – How do you go the ‘extra mile’ to provide the best possible customer service?
3. YOUR PLACE IN THE COMMUNITY – How does your bookshop fit into your local area? This might include events, work with the local library or school, or how you act as a hub for people in your area.
4. THE PHYSICAL SHOP – What makes your store a great place to spend time and money?
5. COMMERCIAL SUSTAINABILITY – How are you ensuring commercial sustainability? Show the judges evidence of this and your financial success and/or viability.
6. ONLINE – What good work are you doing online? Tell the judges about your website, online sales and social media presence.
What to submit
• A completed entry form
• A single PDF (10 pages max.) which addresses the above criteria. Word count: 500–1,500 words. Note: examples must be from 1 April 2017 to 31 May 2018.
Some of the things you could include are: examples of marketing or newsletters; media coverage; customer testimonials; photos of displays, promotions, events; proof of engagement with your community
This year there is no entry fee for members of Booksellers NZ. Non-members may enter for a fee of $100 + gst.
Thanks to Nielsen, the winner will receive a $250 cash prize to buy staff morning tea/drinks/treats. The winner will be presented with a trophy, certificate (and cheque) at the Awards Dinner at Rydges Auckland on Saturday, 25th August and will be included in a media release, Booksellers NZ website and social media which are managed by Booksellers NZ.
How to enter
Email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Monday, 23 July 2018.